Friday, December 12, 2008

What Time-out magazine says to terrorist attacks

I love Time-out since it is very Mumbaiya. It also makes me catch up on what's happening in the city, even though most happening things happen only beyond Bandra.  The rest of the city still lives in its ghettoised way -- rich ghetto, regional ghettos, middle-class ghettos, slum ghettos, Bollywood ghettos,  so-boring ghettos, bling ghettos etc... From Bandra onwards, Mumbai has still remained, mostly, the Mumbai I know --  Fashion Street has become a nightmare street -- with cheap rowdies now manning the shops: they  try to touch the women, whistle when the girls go past them, generally behave like men who have left their women back home in villages and know that their women are making up for this desertion in the way women know how to;  so these men `retaliate' impotently  by behaving crudely towards other women, since these women are within touching  distance of them... as everyone is in, in Mumbai.  This is  one aspect of Mumbai that needs to be addressed seriously and firmly. But well -- you know, we are so chalta hai, that I will possibly shift towns before that happens... or return to live here when I am grey-haired, so that it is safe for old women (except old, rich women, as is happening in south mumbai with its murders of seniors) ...

Any case, to return to the latest Time-out, here is the cover. If you want to know what Time-out decides to say check below:)

I liked the issue because it used Mumbai language, and I liked the young and  `enlightened'  viewpoint. Eg. as columnist Girish Shahane observed, we are all patting ourselves on our back for not immediately erupting against one another, despite hidden angers. Shahane says terrorist outrages never spark riots, they build a reservoir of resentment against a particular community, till a trivial issue can spark riots and gets innocents butchered.  Btw. the reason I am raving about TO is not just because my old colleague Naresh Fernandes is its editor... He is a good guy, a true Mumbaikar...When Sai and I  were leaving our PG accomodation in Bandra and shifting homes  years ago, he had offered to help: though  he came  only after everything was packed in the lorry, I thought that it was very   sweet of him:)  I spotted him the other Sunday, after the terrorist attack, off the Taj... and realised time does fly...

So, if you love Mumbai pick up the latest Time-out. It is  a nostalgic issue: my sort of stories... by people who know the city. And love it... 

No comments: